Tuesday, December 05, 2006

iPod meme

How many songs: 1477

First song: (Don't Fear) The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult

Last song: Zombie ~ The Cranberries

Shortest: 16 sec. language lesson - saying "I" and "you" in Arabic
(shortest piece of music: Njarka by Ali Farka Toure - 44 sec.)

Longest: 30 min. Pimsleur Arabic language lesson
(longest piece of music: Alice's Restaurant Massacree (18:36)

Five most played songs:

Aïcha - Khaled (115) A love song in French and Arabic. He offers to give her all sorts of romantic gifts but all she wants is the same rights he enjoys.

Mohammed's Radio - Warren Zevon (106) I still don't know exactly what he means by "Mohammed's Radio" but the closest thing I've come to hearing Mohammed's Radio might be the calls to prayer of the muezzins I heard in Tunisia.

Oran Marseille - Khaled (99) A song about the struggle of French-Algerian immigrants in Marseille. I love the rapped parts. I only get bits and pieces of it though because it flies by so fast.

Le Juge Ment - Foy-Foy & Kwal (91) Recorded at the Festival of the Desert in Mali. When I first heard this, I was impressed by how fast the guy can rap and go without pausing to take a breath. It's truly amazing. I only understand words here and there. I would love to go the festival someday.

32 Flavors - ani difranco (90) I love the lyrics, especially the line "god help you if you are a phoenix - and you dare to rise up from the ash - a thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy - while you are just flying past."

First song that comes up on "shuffle”: Pastures of Plenty sung by Odetta, written by Woody Guthrie (after that: Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 - I love the version they did in the rain for the dedication of Clinton's library. You should hear it, and you can here or at the end of this post.)

Number of items that come up when searching for:

"sex": 3

"death": 0

"love": 48

"you": 130

"me": 280

"cry": 5

If you're reading this, consider yourself tagged!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you're a warm and fuzzy tag-ee!

You have much higher listen figures on your songs... does your iPod keep track of which ones you listen to?

Your most-listened to song is one of my favorites, too. :)

Anonymous said...

p.s. I want to go to the festival, too. Maybe we could go together?

ScienceWoman said...

I played. :) You have some interesting songs on your most played list.

Field Notes said...

Yes, my iPod does keep track of songs it plays.