Monday, November 24, 2008

Little Y makes it through surgery

Youngster Yuckster made it through surgery last week. She got spayed Wednesday and has been doing really well ever since. She got her bark back around Friday but has continued to be much quieter than usual. She's got stitches that dissolve and didn't go home with those awful plastic 'Elizabethan' collars. Apparently she showed no signs of self-mutilation her doc said. I was skeptical so we kept a close eye on her which was made easier by us being on vacation.

We still worked from home a bit here and there. Me more so than Mr. Field Notes. Some vacation! Orders, including several large ones, continued to roll in so I found myself working almost non-stop. Then I got a nasty case of food poisoning that shut me down completely. I think that's what it was. We ordered a pizza after we finished painting the kitchen and the next morning I was sick and Mr. Field Notes felt bad too. We decided to take care of the kitchen while Yuki was out for her surgery since it would be impossible to do it with her around.

Katy's a good dog, a very very good dog, so it was easy to work around her while we painted. She just lounged on her couch while we painted around her. She seemed to have missed her little sister. She would go over to look out the window and cry. She'd lay around bored. But, we give her a new toy I had been saving so she could play with something new unmolested by little Yuckstart. She had a good time but now of course, it's Yuki's toy.

Yuki's stitches look good. There's just a little bit of oozing that we're keeping an eye on, and fortunately the 5 hours she spent home alone while we were back at work this morning went well. Her stitches look even better than they did yesterday.

And, more noticeably, her bark is back so she must be feeling better. She's still not allowed to play, wrestle or go on walks, but we still make sure she has plenty of stuff to chew on. Her latest fascination is the toilet paper. Today she ran off ten feet of it before I caught up with her.
What a nut.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm so glad she's doing well. Those kinds of invasive surgeries are always so worrying.

She's likely still burning off some of the anesthetic. One of my cats has a reaction where even after a day she still appears quite drunk!

Pam said...

Aw poor baby. My dog will herd anything. He herds his food before he eats it.

I linked your post of them on the couch on this post: http://theemptyenvelope.blogspot.com/2008/11/ballerinas-dogs-delilah-and-trick.html. We saw a newfoundland at the Mall of America and I had to tell her how cute yours were.

Waterrose said...

Soo cute. We have two younger dogs and one "old man." The younger two really want the old man to snuggle with them...but he won't have any of that. It's so cute to see how dogs interact.

Radical Reminders said...

your pup is adorable, as is your etsy shop!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving :)
Galina
aka feminist gal
aka www.designsbygalina.etsy.com

Fuzzy Izmit said...

I hope your puppy is back to her old tricks in no time!

Juliet said...

I hope your puppy is doing well. I was guilt ridden after I got Jack fixed (he had an undescended testicle, which made it more invasive than the usual neutering). Plus, here in Europe, they call it "castration" which makes it sound so much worse. That, and I am seen as quite cruel for fixing him (even though he was an unwanted stray).

Luckily, he pulled through, and seems undamaged (psychologically, at least) by the whole emasculation.

Anonymous said...

love your dog - she's a cutie