Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Awesome Baby Cow Quilt

When Mr. Field Notes and I visited Japan in January, one of the more unconventional things we did was go to a quilt festival.

Although we saw quite a few traditional patchwork quilts, it was the unconventional quilts that caught my eye.

This cow themed quilt continues to be one of my favorites. It had upwards of 40 different cloth cows of various sizes, shapes and expressions. At the time I walked away from the quilt, I thought it would be wonderful to have one like it but with monkeys. I could adapt the OrnaMonkeys I've made for the purpose. That was the idea, anyway. My travel companions were enthusiastic about the idea, I think because they thought this whimsical cow quilt was fantastic too! They thought I should make the monkey quilt and enter it into the 2010 quilt show. I could compete for the prizes too and maybe win some big bucks... to pay for another trip to Japan??
Maybe I will make that quilt one day.

Until then I wanted to share the crazy clever cow quilt. Here are some close-ups.

Button Nose & Eyes

Rope Tail
Ring Nose & Alphabet Body
(I like the one to his right too!)

Metallic Mama & Baby Moo Moos
As you can see, the quilt is three-dimensional in a way most quilts aren't. I really like that aspect of this one.

3 comments:

libu said...

I love that cow quilt... so original and fun! thanks for showing it..

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

That is the coolest quilt I have seen in a long time. The negative spaces on it are as interesting as the cows!

Unbalanced Reaction said...

That is so cute! I would definitely love to see a monkey one. :)