Thursday, May 14, 2009

A trip down memory lane: Senior Year of High School

It's a meme. It's an easy blog post. I have 2 hours of the LOST season finale to catch up on, not to mention work! So here's a snippet of my former life, and please by all means, do one on your blog too so I can get to know you better too, dear readers!

1. Did you date someone from your school? --- sort of

2. Did you marry someone from your high school? --- No way. But I did from my college.

3. Did you carpool to school? --- No, I walked there in the blistering cold on days when my dad wouldn't let me drive or my neighbor didn't take pity on me and give me a ride. The walk was uphill both ways, through 2 feet of snow and 50 mile per hour winds.

4. What kind of car did you have? --- I didn't get my own car until I went to grad school, but in high school I enjoyed the occasional use of a then brand spanking new Ford pickup truck.

5. What kind of car do you have now? --- Honda CR-V but I still miss my red Audi 90 quattro very, very much. It's just not practical when you have huge dogs! And the CR-V is never in the shop for repairs that cost an arm and a leg... actually more like two arms and a leg!

6. Its Friday night ... where are you? (then) --- at a football game in the fall, dances in the spring

7. It is Friday night ... where are you? (now) --- at home with Mr. Field Notes and the two newfies

8. What kind of job did you have in high school? --- senior year? I don't think I had time for a job, but maybe I worked at the shoe store for a while then. I did work at Dairy Queen early in high school until I was fired for insubordination or some such thing. Come to think of it, that's how my other high school job at a video rental place ended abruptly. Apparently if you question management practices, you lose your job — a lesson I still have not quite 'learned.'

9. What kind of job do you do now? --- One that pays well enough for the time I put into it but is generally a pride-swallowing bore of a job that I'd rather not have to do for much longer.

10. Were you a party animal? --- No.

11. Were you considered a flirt? --- Heh. No. I knew boys were nothing but trouble.

12. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? --- No.

13. Were you a nerd? --- I still am!

14. Did you get suspended or expelled? --- I think I came awfully close one time as editor of my yearbook over a photo I thought we should not have to air brush. I was and still am an ardent advocate of free speech.

15. Can you sing the fight song? --- Not anymore, but I remember its tune is Anchor's Away.

16. Who was your favorite teacher? --- My biology teachers for sure.

17. Where did you sit during lunch? --- In the yearbook office. Even then I took lunch at my desk and worked.

18. What was your school mascot? --- Bison.

19. If you could go back and do it again, would you? --- Not a chance.

20. Did you have fun at prom? --- I hated it.

21. Do you still talk to the person you went to Prom with? --- Every once in a while on Facebook.

22. Are you planning to go to your next reunion? If I live within driving distance at the time.

23. Were you a good student? Yes.

24. What did you like most about high school? I guess, being done with it.

25. Do you still talk to people from school? --- All the time on Facebook.

1 comment:

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Field Notes,

I feel behind on LOST. Great post.

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the General Medicine Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff