After failing to find colorful socks to make my own funky monkey sock monkey, I raided my supply of fabric scraps and made a non-sock sock monkey.
Like 99% of the other things I've sewn, I didn't use a pattern. The body and limbs were easy; I just made a bag of the appropriate size. The face and ears were also fairly easy. The monkey's head was challenging because I had to make several darts to give it shape. However -- attaching the cranium to the body was a complete hassle. That alone took as much time as all of the rest of the sewing because I had to do it by hand.
Everyone who makes sock monkeys (out of socks) says they are a cinch to make. I can understand why. They never have to attach the head to the body because the head is actually the toe area of the sock!
My madras print non-sock sock monkey is stuffed with fiberfill fuzz and lavender from my garden. I was thinking of naming him Mad Russ, but he looks too cheerful so we'll just call him Russ.